Rating: A+

Setting: Medieval

Hero: Royce Westmoreland

Heroine: Jennifer Merrick

Since it's my first post of this blog, I decided to start with my most favorite romance novel of all times -- A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught. Its one of my earlier reads but it was stood the test of time and the competition of all those romances out there. Although I have to admit I resisited reading this book for a long time. After all, not all girls wants to read about a hero who is rumored to drink the blood of the prisoners he took! A note to those blurb-writers -- please don't down-grade some wonderful books with such blurbs. Anyways, I was getting addicted to Judith McNaught in those days and since A Kingdom of Dreams was the only book by Judith McNaught available in my book store, so I bought it just for the sake of reading a Judith McNaught book. How wrong I was! I was hooked from page one and this book has ever since held a very special place in my heart. 

A Kingdom of Dreams is set against a grand and epic medieval backdrop, fueled by conflicts between country and family, filled with vibrant secondary characters, and of course led by a powerful hero (Royce Westmoreland) and heroine (Jennifer Merrick) - both of whom compelling in their own right but together one heck of a team. This book is the stuff that romance legends are made of. I love, love, love how Royce and Jenny slowly learn about each other, two enemies whose initial awkward and reluctant connection gradually evolves to one of understanding, acceptance, and ultimately, love. I love how they give themselves so selflessly for the happiness of the other - Royce sacrifices his life for her on the battlefield, Jenny sacrifices her family and country for him. 

The ending of A Kingdom of Dreams is the most complete and fulfilling I've ever read. I have many other favorite romance reads, but this book just swept across the board for me. It makes one believe in the magic of soulmates. I would give this story 5 stars. An absolute wonderful read, with heart-tugging and gut-wrenching scenes. And the ending would bring tears to the eyes of the most cynical of readers (or at least a gut twist). This story will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will make you fall in love all over again.



0 comments:

Post a Comment